Raised Bed Design Plans

Last year I built 6 nice raised beds for my back yard garden.  I searched the internet for different designs and ended up with my own design.  My garden was on a slight slope and exposed so all my neighbors could see the beds so I wanted something nice and something that was easy to build.  I found a few basic designs on the internet but wasn't really happy with what people had done.  If I was going to invest the time and money I wanted it to look good.  Here is a example of what I didn't like:
You can see the butt joints are exposed and theirs no kneeling rail for when your working in the garden.  I saw a few of these in my neighborhood and decided this wasn't for me.  I had made something like this in one of my old gardens and it looked bad after a few years and wasn't comfortable to work around.  This design was better but still not exactly what I wanted:
It has a nice rail around the top, its deep, the butt joints are covered up, this was more like it.  The only thing I didn't like about this bed was the rail around the top wasn't a miter joint but rather a butt joint, simple fix. So here is what I ended up building:
The four legs are longer than the side walls by about 3" so I could pin the bed in place, I also leveled off the beds with bricks under the legs.  The design is simple and lasts a long time, here is a lumber list that you'll need to buy to make the bed, do NOT buy pressure treated lumber:

(3) 2x10x8' (side walls)
(1) 2x4x8' (legs)
(3) 2x4x9' (kneeling rail around the top)

Glue for the miter joints on the kneeling rail, screws or nails and waterproof stain.  I prestained all the wood before I assembled it, by sealing all 6 sides before it was assembled it should allow the wood to last longer. All in I think each bed cost about $20.00 including all the extras.  Here are a few more design tips and measurements:









Comments